When Australia selects France, it enters into an enduring strategic relationship with a complete submarine power.
France is a complete submarine power and has national policies to remain so. A complete submarine power is one that can safely design, build, operate and sustain any class of submarine on an enduring basis.
Whatever the future holds, only cooperation with a complete submarine power provides Australia with strategic choices.
Only France can provide Australia with:
- enduring and leading edge capabilities in stealth;
- sonar and other sensor technology derived from nuclear ballistic missile and nuclear attack submarines;
- the return on experience from long-range patrols;
- nuclear safety standards;
- technology development pathways;
- a complete array of research and development, and test facilities.
All of the above are planned to beyond the year 2080.