To DCNS, innovation is critical for building and sustaining the capability Australian industry needs to deliver a regionally superior submarine.
DCNS will implement the Government's National Innovation and Science Agenda. Innovation is core business to DCNS. In France alone DCNS spent $150 million on innovation and R&D in 2014. This will grow to $180 million by 2017.
DCNS’s vision is to create a sovereign and sustainable industrial base to deliver innovative solutions over the life cycle of the submarine.
France is a proven innovator in Australia. Through companies like Thales, Airbus, Safran and Schneider, France has already successfully transferred technology to Australian companies for sonars, armoured vehicles, jet engines, satellites, ships, electronic equipment, air traffic management and much more.
- transfer know-how from France to Australia;
- purposefully apply this knowledge to create specific benefits in our programs and develop an innovation environment around our scientific, education and industrial community; and
- provide an enduring and continuously improving service for Australia.
DCNS will create five Centres of Excellence which will foster career opportunities in fields such as composite materials, hydrodynamics, hull material and welding, marine corrosion and energy optimisation.
DCNS will work with universities across Australia in research and development to ensure that more comprehensive naval engineering degrees include courses which specialise in submarine related subjects.
Our own DCNS University will develop industrial skills in Australia each year by offering 50 Australian graduate students the opportunity to undertake graduate programs or traineeships.
DCNS has already consulted with hundreds of Australian companies and identified more than 50 candidate projects for new innovations to be developed in Australia.
Replacing hydraulic fluid with water based hydraulic fluid
- this is innovation
- Know how to use water based hydraulic fluid
- Transfer this knowledge to Australia through a Government to Government Agreement
- Reduce the risk of fire
- New industries and opportunities for business
- A safer and more environmentally friendly Australia